Mar 22, 2015

I went back to highschool.

So, I went back to high school this weekend. To be more exact, I felt like I was back in high school this weekend, and I was the happiest I have been in like... a while.

If you knew me in my good ol' high school days, you should know that I lived at live local shows or at The House of Blues trying to sneak backstage or trying to find the line of vans that all my favorite bands practically lived in. I was a "band groupie," without all of the inappropriate-ness of being a groupie. I was in love with band boys. Obsessed in love. Specifically, the skinny, greasy-haired boys of The Maine. So I totally had a huge fangirl moment this Friday when I got the chance to see my old favorite band for the first time in five years.

My friend Kate and I chose last minute to go to South By So What in Grande Prairie, the knock-off Dallas version of SXSW. Not quite as cool but hey, it was totally worth saving the gas money and the HUGE amounts of money I know we would spend in Austin. So we spent our day at the Quicktrip baseball stadium filled with black hoodied, blue hair'd, way too much eyeliner'd people that we definitely did not fit in with. Kate in her pink flannel and me in my black jeans and crochet top with my flannel around my waist. Rockin' our Vans. We tried at least. But we made the best of it, considering it was sprinkling/raining all day, we just sipped some beers and listened to good music we had never even heard of before. The best part of the day by far was getting to by the meet and greet for The Maine and embarrass myself with how excited I got and my stutter-filled story of how my best friends and I used to be in love with them. They just laughed at me and told me to enjoy the show and my beer. So I did. I loved the whole set, even though I only knew the two old songs they sang. I havent kept up with their new stuff. I was jumping singing along in the rain, I was in high school Gable heaven.

I like high school Gable and the things that made her happy. She was so simple. Good friends, good music, good vibes. You know, there's just something giddy about the atmosphere and the sounds and the people that make these things fun and exciting. It's just different/ what I loved years ago, I just forgot. I want to keep this thing going, soooooo Edgefest (cough cough EScott)?!?!

The Maine (above) & Nick Santino (below)


1 comment:

  1. SOUTH BY SO WHAT IS A THING?! I'm in shock. And so jealous.

    ReplyDelete