Mar 6, 2015

the best place on earth

Riga, Latvia. Really anywhere in Latvia. The cities, the countrysides, the people, the food, the culture, the music, the language, the weather, the all around feeling I start to get when I am even a week away from knowing I will soon be in the land of potatoes and dill. It all began five summers ago, when I went over with a group of youth from my church, and ever since, I would say I am obsessed. Why Latvia? Honestly, I can't even explain it. It's just like when you say you fall in love with somebody at first sight, I fell in love with this country at first step off the plane.

The past five summers have been filled with experiences, friendships, lessons, joy, tears, laughter, days I thought I would literally die, days I thought I never ever wanted to leave, and days that will never be erased from my memory no matter how old I grow. I could talk about Latvia forever, seriously, so I will try to keep this as short as I can.

Year one, I went to Latvia thinking it was in Africa just a week before our plane took off. No joke. For those of you that don't know, Latvia is located on the Baltic Sea in Eastern Europe.


We ended up going to an absolutely beautiful campsite in Ergli, Latvia with a group of youth from Vilandes Church, my hometown church's sister church in Riga (our connection to this random country). This campsite is where I realized that I couldn't not come back. The second to last night of camp, the night's message was translated from Latvian to our American group. I remember hearing the words from the man speaking, talking about the forgiveness and mercy of God, and that even though we are all sinners and have all done wrong, our Lord loves us endlessly. A few months before, I had made some decisions that I regretted, and lost friendships that I was somehow lucky enough to regain years later. I had been at an all time low, and I felt joy just being in this country, at this camp, and that night as a huge rain storm rolled in, and as we were singing songs of worship squished under a tent, I could literally feel the rain and something deeper than that washing me clean, like I was forgiven. It was the coolest feeling I had ever experienced, and I fell in love with it. 
Every summer since, we have been going back to Riga and helping our friends at Vilandes run multiple camps for children and youth. Year two was a 30 mile hike camp on the beaches of Latvia (see video below). Years three and four, we began a program called Ceribu Iela (Street of Hope). We held a three day day-time sports camp for children that lived in an area of Riga that was known as dangerous, and these kids were known as street kids. Just loving on them and having fun with them, we saw them beginning to change. Year five, this past summer, we were able to take these Street of Hope kids to a campsite for three days, and really get to know them better, and help them get to know Jesus. It is really something amazing to see a child who can't even speak your language, or has never even heard of Jesus, come to know Christ. Some of these campers at Street of Hope, I have known for three years now. I get to watch them grow up and learn about loving others, loving themselves, and the love of Christ, and it's basically what encourages me everyday. These kids encourage me everyday.

I have a passion for Latvia. I have dreams about bringing my friends and family there and introducing them to the places and the people I love. That place, especially Vilandes church, is another home to me, and my Latvian friends are my family. Latvia is and will always be a part of me.


Latvia 2011 from gable mansfield on Vimeo.


...

No comments:

Post a Comment